Solar energy is derived from the sun’s radiation. It is a renewable, widely available
and clean energy source. Two major technologies have been developed to harness it.
Solar thermal technology captures the sun’s heat. This heat can be used directly or
converted into mechanical energy and in turn electricity, known as concentrated solar
power. Photovoltaic solar technology directly converts sunlight into electricity using
panels of semiconductor cells. The sun is a powerful energy source and we are blessed
with abundant sunshine here. Solar energy has proved to be very beneficial not only for
the environment but also for the society offering many advantages over conventional
fossil fuels and other renewable energy systems. Solar power has some disadvantages
but it offers many more advantages that are worth noting:
1. Solar energy is renewable and unlimited The amount of available solar energy is
staggering and it’s constantly replaced, by harnessing the sun’s power we are not
reducing the amount of energy available - the sun will shine every day.
2. Solar energy is non-polluting Solar energy is low-emission. Solar panels produce
no pollution and the environmental costs imposed through manufacture are negligible
when compared with the damage inflicted by conventional energy sources.
Solar panels contain no moving parts and thus produce no noise.
3. Solar energy is economical In the long run, solar power saves you money.
Solar panels and installation involve high initial expenses but this cost is soon
offset by savings on energy bills. 4. Solar energy is adaptable Solar energy systems
can be custom fit and designed to be both flexible and expandable, meaning
that a small solar project can be extended in the future as needed.
5. Easy installation Installation is relatively easy and simple and provides good
use of any vertical or horizontal available space.
6. Easy maintenance. Solar panels are low maintenance, because there are no
moving parts there’s nothing to wear out that will need replacing in the future.
7. Solar energy is clean. It creates electricity without contributing to global
warming pollution. There’s no waste generated and the lifespan of the
photovoltaic panels is far longer than other energy system.
8. Solar energy works everywhere. It doesn’t matter how remote, solar energy
can generate energy where no other form of power can be obtained.
9. Solar energy works for everybody. There is a huge variety of solar systems
and appliances available for home, community or business. It is a very versatile
form of energy that can be used on a small scale or on a large scale.
10. Solar energy creates jobs. Solar energy provides jobs and sustainable
economical growth. Production of solar panels is becoming a growing source
of employment in research, manufacture, sales and installation.